KTH Meta-rooms dataset
The data was collected autonomously by a Scitos G5 robot with an RGB-D camera on a pan-tilt, navigating through the KTH office environment over a period of 7 days. Three waypoints have been defined on the 2D map, and each one is visited once per day. Each observation consists of a set of 28 RGB-D images obtained by moving the pan-tilt in a pattern, in increments of 60 degrees horizontally and 30 degrees vertically. The data is a part of the Strands EU FP7 project.
|KTH Scitos G5 robot - Rosie
||2D Map with waypoints
|Observations acquired by the robot|
The data is structured in folders as follows: YYYYMMDD/patrol_run_YYY/room_ZZZ , where:
Each folder of the type YYYMMDD/patrol_run_YYY/room_ZZZ contains the following files:
- YYYYMMDD represents the year, month & day when those particular observations were acquired. Each such folder contains the patrol runs the robot collected on that specific date.
- patrol_run_YYY represents one of the patrol runs collected by the robot.
- room_ZZZ represents a particular observation collected during a patrol run.
The room.xml file accompanying an observation contains the following (relevant) fields:
- room.xml - contains information relevant for the observation (described in the next section)
- complete_cloud.pcd - the point cloud of the observation (obtained by merging the individual point clouds together)
- intermediate_cloud*.pcd - ordered point clouds, each corresponding to an RGB and depth image acquired by the camera while conducting the sweep (28 such point clouds for each observation)
- RoomLogName - identifier which associates the observation with the folder structure
- RoomRunNumber - identifier which denotes when the observation was acquired during the patrol run (i.e. 0 - first, 1 - second, etc.)
- RoomStringId - identifier which corresponds to the waypoint at which the observation was acquired.
- RoomLogStartTime / RoomLogEndTime - acquisition time
- Centroid - observation centroid in the map frame
- RoomCompleteCloud - complete cloud filename
- RoomIntermediateCloud - intermediate cloud filename
- RoomIntermediateCloudTransform - transform from the RGB-D sensor frame to the map frame, as given by the robot odometry
A parser is provided here (can be installed with
sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-metaroom-xml-parser) which reads in the data and returns C++ data structures encapsulating the low-level data from the disk. Form more information please refer to the parser README ( or here for a list of supported methods). Information about how to use the Strands package repository can be found here.
This dataset is available for download in a single archive file (~ 12 GB).
As an alternative, the individual folders and files can be obtained from here, and would have to be downloaded manually.
Condition of use
If you use the dataset for your research, please cite our paper that describes it:
We attached a bibtex record for your convenience.
Meta-rooms: Building and maintaining long term spatial models in a dynamic world
Ambrus, Rares and Bore, Nils and Folkesson, John and Jensfelt, Patric
Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on